Sunday, March 25, 2012

Life is Precious

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up -- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had."- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

My sister Dori and I sat down tonight and listed everyone in our family who has passed away since my father passed in 1986. We counted 13. Nine of the thirteen were unexpected and tragic and seven were under the age of forty when they passed away.

Death is no stranger to my family. We know it well.....a little too well. We know the shock, the sadness, and sometimes the depression that follows. We know what it feels like to miss someone so badly that your whole being literally hurts with a physical pain and all you do is exist from day to day as you try to figure out how to heal the gaping hole in your heart. You think about the last words spoken, last actions and the last time you were together and you realize......Life Is Precious.

Precious means "of high price or of great value; dear or beloved". Recently, I have begun to realize on a much deeper level how precious moments are spent in my life. I found that the most precious moments is time spent with my nieces and nephews, my family, my friends, my service to others, meaningful conversations and uplifting experiences. I cherish my time on this earth because I don't know how long I will be here. I try to be a good person, a good example, a kind and compassionate person, a generous person and one who helps others. Sometimes I fall short and I am thankful for another day so that I can try again.

I know that life on this earth is a gift. A PRECIOUS gift. One we should all be thankful for no matter what our circumstances are. Count your blessings and realize that there will ALWAYS be someone who is hurting more, suffering more, dealing with a trial they don't know how they will make it through. Seek to recognize and cherish the precious moments in your life and be a grateful person. Even our trials make us stronger and give us experiences that help us grow as a person. These experiences may also help you to understand and give comfort to someone else who is going through a similar trial.

Death has been a trial my family has had to endure....time and time again. We are blessed however, to know and understand that we are an ETERNAL family and that we will see our loved ones again. My family has grown closer and stronger through each of our losses. When we talk on the phone, every single one of us says "I love you" at the end of EVERY conversation and we mean it. It is not a sentence we take lightly or throw about. We love each other and understand the importance of showing this.

I have come to understand and appreciate the people in my life. I do not think that people meet and are brought into each other's lives by chance. I believe we are in each other's lives for a reason..... to strengthen, uplift, support, comfort and teach each other the importance of treating those dear to us as gifts that are fragile and should be treasured. I hope that we remember in our daily associations with people that we are all "of high price or great value; dear or beloved".

Yes; life is precious and should be treated as such. We know to cherish today because we do not know what tomorrow brings.

No comments: