Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Keeper of My Heart

Robert Umberto Spadetti is my nephew and we have been close since the day he was born on November 14, 2002. Seriously..... since the day he was born.

My sister Dori and her husband Brian lived in the apartment above me and I would get home from work and two minutes later my sister would be walking through my door with baby Robbie. Every night I would take Robbie into my arms and dance with him until he fell asleep....EVERY NIGHT. When he got a little older he knew the drill and he would nuzzle his little head into my neck and we would dance to Kelly Willis until he was out. He couldn't say "Kara" and started calling me "Yaya" and to this day, that is what he calls me.

The older he got, the closer we became. If he was sick or got
hurt, he would call me and all I had to hear was his little raspy voice asking for me and my heart would melt and I would drop anything to be with him. I have cancelled dates for this kid. He has figured this out and he knows he has me in the palm of his hand.

He started spending the night with me at a very young age (I think he was 8 months old the first time he spent the night with me!) and we were kindred spirits. When he started talking I was amazed that this little boy could make me laugh.......truly laugh and we loved spending time together. He wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with him and we talked every day. I would call him or he would ask his mom to call me.

On many occasions I would spend the weekend with him (once they moved) and many times we would lay down in bed and talk and laugh for HOURS. One time in particular I remember that I was struggling with a broken heart and I went to spend the weekend with him because I knew just seeing him would make me feel better. We were sleeping on an air mattress in his living room and after about an hour of just talking (he was 5) we started laughing about something so hard that I had tears streaming down my face and he was covering my mouth with his little hand so we wouldn't wake up the house and I knew he was a blessing in my life and would always be able to make me feel better. It amazed me that this little 5 year old could have the conversations we had and how he was really fun to be around.....I really loved to be with him all of the time.

Robbie is a very special boy. Not only is he my nephew but he is also a light in my life and when I see him, my heart smiles. We have a very sweet relationship. I can't adequately put into words how he makes me feel......there is a "knowing" between us and we both realize that what we have is an extraordinary bond that will be something we cherish for all of our life.

He is "The Keeper of My Heart" because he loves me with a true and sincere love and already protects me and looks out for me. Even at nine years old, he gets it. I can't wait to watch him grow, to be a part of his impressive life, and to see who he becomes. He is an amazing little soul......wise beyond his years and I am lucky to be his Aunt.

1 comment:

Jen said...

He happens to be pretty handsome also :)